Friday, December 30, 2011

The Begining

Oh a little break after the crazy holiday season. *Deep breath* I love returning to our “normal” schedule.
A little introduction: I am in my early 40’s (which I have a hard time believing- I think I’m 32) and I have a partner and a five-year-old son. I love to cook. We sit down to eat dinner together five nights a week. I grew up with the meat, vegetable, starch and bread-idea of dinner.  I have struggled with my weight my whole life. Sadly, even in my twenties at my height of fitness- I did not see how great I looked. So my journey is one of health, wellness, and self-acceptance.
I have been aspiring to be gluten-free for about three years, often falling off the wagon and suffering for it. My particular experience with gluten intolerance manifests as joint pain. I have along history of both sides of my family of arthritis. Inflammation has been a daily occurrence for me, most of my adult life.
In the Paleo world, I am a baby. I have been Paleo for a month now. But I feel as though I have found my “food home.” It has been one of the easiest life style changes I have ever instituted. Many other plans like Weight Watcher had elements that never sat well with me- like artificial sweeteners and artificially low fat foods like cream. Cream is supposed to be FAT!
I feel satisfied by the foods I am eating. I am not hungry all the time. I don’t crave foods that used to haunt me- like donuts. I am eating pounds (yes I mean pounds) of bacon. And I am loosing weight, so far 14 pounds in four weeks. I realize this is a high rate to continue to loose at but I think it’ll even out once my body creates less inflammation.
I wanted to begin this blog before the start of the New Year because I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. That's just me. I think there are other turnings of the year that make more sense to me to make changes in your life- like the turning of a season. None the less, I commend anyone for making the commitment to greater health.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to read about this journey of yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete